This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Atto notorio per matrimonio


Atto notorio per matrimonio

Forms and Instructions available for this service:

US citizens who wish to be married in Italy must obtain the documents listed below and follow the procedure described (for other nationalities please contact us for further information):

  • An American passport or American Armed Forces identification card.
  • A sworn statement (dichiarazione giurata) by parents or legal guardian(s) consenting to the marriage if the American citizen is under 18. A sworn statement must be sworn to by the U.S. citizen before an American Consular Officer in Italy, stating that according to the laws to which the citizen is subject in the United States there is no obstacle to his/her marriage in Italy. Please, call the U.S. Consulate nearest to the city in Italy where you intend to get married at the phone numbers provided below to schedule an appointment.

    Rome: United States Embassy,
    Via Vittorio Veneto 119A, 00187
    Tel. (06) 46741 Fax (06) 488-2672;

    Florence: U.S. Consulate General,
    Lungarno A. Vespucci 38, 50123
    Tel (055) 239-8276 Fax (055) 284-088;

    Milan: U.S. Consulate General,
    Via Principe Amedeo 2/10, 20121
    Tel (02) 290-04559 Fax (02) 290-01165;

    Naples: U.S. Consulate General,
    Piazza della Repubblica, 80122
    Tel (081) 583-8111 Fax (081) 761-1869

  • Certified copy of birth certificate showing the names of both parents and, if applicable, a final divorce decree. The birth certificate and, if applicable, the divorce decree must be legalized with an “Apostille” from the Office of the Secretary of State. All the above certificates must be professionally translated. (for reference see the following list of translators, use of which nevertheless is not mandatory).

    (The "Apostille" is the legalization provided by the Office of the Secretary of State of the State where the document/certificate is issued. Such legalization is necessary for the document to be valid in Italy. The Secretary of State is located in the Capital of each State).

  • Attested Affidavit (Atto Notorio). This is a notarial deed in which two people over 18, not related to either applicants (“testifiers” or “attesters”), testify (together with the applicants) and under oath before an Italian Consulate Officer – or in Italy at a Pretura Civile – that, according to the laws to which the citizen is subject in the USA and in Italy, there is no legal obstacle to his/her marriage.

    In order to obtain an Attested Affidavit, issued by this Consulate, applicants must schedule an appointment with the Notary Office, giving at least two weeks notice.

    To request an Attested Affidavit please fill out the information sheet you find at the top of this page and send it back to this Office by e-mail along with your phone number. After sending the information you will be called by a Consular Officer in charge of scheduling appointments.

  • Civil Ceremony for non-resident U.S. Citizens: Bring all documentation to the Marriage Office (Ufficio Matrimoni) of the Comune. You will be given an appointment to return in two or three days with two witnesses and an interpreter to make a declaration of intention to marry (Promessa di matrimonio). Request a marriage certificate at this time, if you need it immediately after the ceremony.

  • Civil Ceremony for resident U.S. Citizens: Request a certificate of residency (certificato di residenza) at the Circoscrizione (City Hall District Office) where you have your residence and a free-status certificate (ceritificato di stato libero) on revenue paper at the Comune. Those documents are required if one of the parties is Italian or if the U.S. citizen is a resident of Italy. They must be posted for two weeks including two consecutive Sundays at the City Hall. The civil ceremony is performed in the City Hall in the presence of two witnesses and an interpreter.

  • Religious Ceremony: Bring the documents directly to the priest who will officially register the marriage with the City Hall within five days. The Roman Catholic Church requires also baptismal and confirmation certificates. Ceremonies performed at Non-Roman Catholic churches require a civil ceremony as well. Persons planning a religious ceremony should consult the Priest, Minister or Rabbi as far in advance of the ceremony as possible.

An alien who marries an Italian does not automatically become an Italian citizen.